Frog and Toad Together "A List"
1. Make a list of different ways to say said. Make sure to include the following words from the story, "A List": cried, wailed, shouted, and gasped.
3A. To reinforce that the author is telling the kids something, have the kids go back to Toad's list and figure out what Toad didn't do. There may be discussion about the following because the list was lost at this point of the story. My kids were amused that Toad did all the things on his list except eat. They didn't think they needed to read "eat" to remember.
3B. Generate a school list of what we do in a day.
3C. This could then lead to making a list of what each child does.
Frog and Toad Together "A Garden"
1. To build prior knowledge, in science class read in the science books about planting seeds. If time allows, plants seeds (grass works well). Talk about the cycle of plant life.
3. What do the kids think is hard work for them.
Frog and Toad Together "Cookies"
1. Buy a box of cookie crisp cereal to use during math class. Kids will be using cookies and frog and toad to write story problems. I then type up their story problems and make them into a class book.
Frog says, "We need will power." on page 34. What does that mean? Everybody read pages 34 and 35. Now what do you think it means? What is the author trying to tell you? When have you had to use will power? When have you had to use will power at school? At home? On the bus? On the playground?
3. What is Toad going to do? Does he have will power? Do you think he'll eat the whole cake? Write down what you think will happen.
Frog and Toad Together "Dragons and Giants"
1. Introduce vocabulary using the technique RIVET that the kids may not know: dragons, avalanche, trembling, brave
3. Discuss brave. How were toad and frog brave?
Frog and Toad Together "The Dream"
1. Discuss showing off. How do you feel when your friend brag about stuff they can do? What are things friends talk about?
3A. Discuss dark during the dream. Light when friend Frog was by the bed.
3B. Do one of the following activities:
Make a list of things to do with a friend.
Make a list of the things you do from morning to bedtime.
Write a story about Frog and Toad having an adventure.
Write a story about you and a friend spending time together.