Domain: Reading and Writing
Standards: Reading Comprehension 2.8, Lit. Response 3.8, Writing Strategies 1.8, 1.9, Writing Application 2.4, Listening Strategies 1.1, 1.5, Vocabualary Comprehension 1.1
Objective: Students will break into assigned groups of multiple levels. In their groups, students will identify and use words, literary and figuratively; evaluate the credibility of the claim; interpret and evaluate the use of ambiguities, subtleties, contradictions, ironies, and incongruities.
READING LESSON PLAN
1. Student go to their groups where they open their text to page 288 and follow along as they listen to the CD for "Gift of the Magi."
2. Students work on the Worksheets related to the story. The worksheet is as follows:
"GIFT OF THE MAGI" WORKSHEET
1. "The Gift of the Magi" was written by _______
2. What was the rent on the flat? ______________
3. What is a fob chain? ________________________
4. Define the word: nimble. ___________________ _________________________________________________
5. Who were the Magi and how are they related to the story?____________________________________
6. How many stories did O'Henry write?__________
7. O'Henry got some of his best stories from ___
8. In the story, "Gift of the Magi" what was the situational irony?___________________________