Procedure - (Be sure to ask student’s if any have allergies to hand lotion.)
1. Ask: What is a germ? How big is it? Why is it important to wash your hands?
2. Put a small amount of hand lotion in each student’s hands. Have them rub it all over their hands.
3. Sprinkle, over a bucket, a small amount of glitter into each student’s hands. Have them rub their hands to spread the glitter evenly.
4. Next, have a few kids try to get the glitter off with dry paper towel.
5. Then, have a few kids try to get the glitter off with plain, cold water. After that, have a few kids use warm water, with soap, to get the glitter germs off.
6. Let everyone wash his or her hands with warm, soapy water.
7. Bring everyone back to circle and ask, “What does the glitter represent (Germs)? What happened when you tried to get it off with just paper towels? Cold water? Warm, soapy water? Why is it important to properly wash your hands?