Objective: Students will be able to identify, demonstate, and explain a science generalization of their choice.
Motivation: Choose a science generalization to demonstarate. Model presentation keeping grading criteria in mind.
Presentation: Explain to students that they will research, plan, practice, and present a demonstration like the one they have just seen. Review model and explain aspects of activity and the following steps to its preparation.
1. Research. Choose a generalization to demonstarate.
2. Plan demo. that can be done at home and at school.
3. Gather materials. Try demo.
4. Try the demo again. (A sound experiment can be repeated.)
5. Plan presentation. Make notes on notecards.
-Intro. (get attention, prepare audience)
-Demo. (explain what you do)
-Explanation (why? variations? applications)
-Conclusion (review with poster)
6. Practice presentation. (use a mirror)
7. Practice for your family.
8. Practice again. (check volume, rate, eye contact)
9. Come to school prepared on Science Works Day.
10. Preform with confidence. Teach and amaze others.
Reinforce: Allow students to begin research and planning. Model another demonstation each day. Emphasize aspects of grading criteria.
Practice: Send home letter explaining project. Request that parents take time to watch students' presentations.
Application: Students preform at school assembly. (Be sure to invite families to share in the success. Invite them to assembly, videotape, or hold a special performance.