Objective: Use resources such as dictionaries and glossaries correctly to build word meaning and to learn all uses of their references. Use alphabetical order to locate information.
Materials: Index cards with words written on them for each group to put in ABC order, Grammar and Writing Handbook, Language Arts Books.
1. Play word spelling game with students
2. Pose question—Why do we use the dictionary?
3. Introduce study skills of using dictionary using grammar books
4. Review ABC order and introduce to the 2nd letter if needed.
5. Have each group work together to put their index card words in ABC order
Evaluation: Make sure that children know reasons for using the dictionary. Watch Groups to make sure they understand how to put a list in ABC order.