1. Introduce students to the basic Haiku poetry format -
3 lines of poetry which follow a 5-7-5 syllabic pattern.
2. Explain to students that most Haikus deal with topics concerning nature and/or emotions. However, don't discourage creative writers to do outside these boundaries.
3. Read samples of Haiku poems. You can download several from a number of Websites.
4. Have students write 3 of their own Haikus. These are later typed and included in the student's semester
5. Students share their Haikus voluntarily for participation points.