Lesson Plan Title: Recorder
Concept / Topic To Teach: Understanding a recorder, finger numbers for play the recorder, the G A B notes on the recorder, and use the recorder to play Hot Cross Buns
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
5. Reading and notating music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
3.3 The student will notate and perform melodies from the treble staff, using traditional notation.
1. Use voice or melodic instruments.
3. Recognize that music is divided into measures.
3.14 The student will exhibit respect for the contribution of self and others in a music setting.
1. Contribute to a group effort of making music.
2. Contribute to a group effort of listening to music.
3. Participate in music activities that involve sharing, taking turns, and other ways of demonstrating good citizenship.
To help students formulate a basic concept of the recorder, and to play accurately and with a pleasant sound of a simple song on the recorders.
• Students will be able to hold the recorder in correct playing position, and name the finger numbers.
• Students will be able to identify the G A B notes on the recorder.
• Students will be able to play Hot Cross Buns on the recorder by using G A B notes on the recorder.
• Recorder fingering chart
• Music display of Hot Cross Buns
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
Play a music that is played by a recorder
1. Using the “Recorder fingering chart” to explain the finger numbers.
2. Explain the G A B notes on the recorder.
3. On board, make up a simple rhythm to let students practice on the notes:
G G G Rest Rest Rest A A A Rest Rest Rest B B B
4. Learning to play Hot Cross Buns by using 5 procedures:
• Rhythm walk: have students to practice on the rhythm
• Finger walk: without making a sound, have students only use their correct fingers on the recorder, do it 5 times
• Play the song as a whole class group for 5 times
• Teacher play piano as accompaniment while students play the song as a small group.
Plan For Independent Practice:
As an assignment, perfect Hot Cross Buns for family.
Closure (Reflect Anticipatory Set):
Sing the songs of Hot Cross Buns
Assessment Based On Objectives:
• As the teacher call out the finger number, students will put their correct fingers on the recorder.
• Teacher will call out a note (G A B), and students will play the correspondence note on the recorder.
• Students will play Hot Cross Buns in a small group of three. If they can play thoroughly without mistakes, award a sticker as the achievement of the 1st level.
Adaptations (For Students With Learning Disabilities):
Extensions (For Gifted Students):
Play an extra song by using the same 3 notes on recorder.