Students will use Internet sources (i.e. online encyclopedias/ dictionaries/ search engines) to access information on former presidents and their goals for our nation.
Technology Research Tools:
1. Use Web search engines and built-in search functions of other various resources to locate information
Social Studies GLC
U3 1.6 Identify the role that key individuals played in leading the colonists to revolution, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, Samuel Adams, John Adams, and Thomas Paine.
Learning Resources and Materials
Kidspiration social studies template (hard copy)
Development of Lesson
Students will be prepared for this lesson by drawing knowledge from previous in activities based on search engine use.
Student’s interest will be grasped through a visual handout for this activity.
Students will be grouped accordingly to the number of computers available
1. Once seated at computer stations students will be given the handout printed from KidSpiration.
2. Students will then be instructed use the provided list of search engines to locate the missing information on the concept map
3. Once the concept map is complete students put their thumbs up at their desk
4. After all concept maps are complete and collected the teacher shall play ‘popcorn’ and ask students for the information they placed in the bubbles
5. Teachers may also follow up with questions as to which search engines students found the most useful and enjoyed the most.
1. Students with special needs will be paired with a paraprofessional on their assigned computer. If one is not available they will be paired with a student of higher learning levels.
2. Evaluation of the assignment will occur through the duration of the activity while walking around monitoring computer usage.
3. Evaluation of the assignment will occur after through a ‘popcorn’ question and answer session.
1. Students learning is assessed through the completion of the given concept map
2. The lesson is evaluated upon checking the information found for the concept map as well as how students answer questions after the project is complete
Students will reflect on what they have learned through the completion of their concept map and a ‘popcorn’ question answer session.
Applicable upon completion of lesson