|Teachers.Net > Classifieds > TEACHER CREATED MATERIALS|
Favorite Friends- 67 Literacy Activities on cd-rom $5
Posted by Lisa / Virginia on 7/13/11
FAVORITE STORY BOOK FRIENDS contains 67 literacy
activities to go along with seven favorite stories:
Biscuit, The Cat in the Hat, Mrs. Wishy-Washy, If You Give
a Mouse a Cookie, Danny and the Dinosaur, Chrysanthemum and
The Gingerbread Man. All activities are in PDF format so
they can be accessed on either PCs or Macs. CD-ROM has an
illustrated label and is housed in a jewel case. I am
happy to send you a link to pictures of the activities-just
email me. :o)
1. Noun/Verb Sort: Sort the noun & verb cards to the
correct spot on the mat.
2 -og Word Family Pull Through: Slide the letter strip
through to create
words from the - og family. Pick five of the words and
write a sentence for
3. Homophone Bones: Match each homonym with it's correct
4. Dog Bone Measuring: Put the bones in order from
shortest to longest.
Next, measure each to the nearest centimeter.
5. Biscuit & Me Venn Diagram: Use Venn diagram to show
how Biscuit's bed
time routine is similar and different from yours.
6. How Much is That Doggy in the Window?: Count the
amounts on the coin
cards and match them to the correct doggy in window.
7. Story Sequence: Put the events from the story in the
order they happened.
8. Letter Bingo: Play a bingo game by marking the
lowercase letter on the
card when shown the uppercase letter.
9. Activity Letter: Explains how to do each activity.
THE CAT IN THE HAT:
1. Word Families: Write five words for each of the word
families on the mat (-ish, -at,
2. Pattern Completion: Use the cut out pieces to complete
3. Create Your Own Pattern: Use the cut out pieces to make
your own patterns (try
doing an ABAB, AABAAB, ABBABB, & ABCABC)
4. Math Puzzle: Look at the clue card. It shows you what
number each picture stands
for. Use the card with the Math Puzzle page to help you
solve the addition problems.
5. Sight Word Match: Read the sight words on the sight word
match page. Circle the
two words in each row that are the same.
6. Rhyming Cloze: Complete each quote from the Cat in the
Hat with the correct
rhyming word from the box.
7. Writing: Write what you would do if the Cat in the Hat
came to your house.
8. Use Your Head: Solve the mixed addition and subtraction
problems on the Cat's
hat. (There are two in each rectangle.) After solving each
problem compare the
answers using the <,>, or = sign.
9. Catch that Cat!: Toss the two dice (one numbered from 1-
6 and the other A-F) to
form an ordered pair. Then locate that coordinate and
remove the Cat in the Hat from
that space (if there is still one there). The first person
to "catch" ten Cat in the Hats
wins the round.
10. All About Dr. Seuss: Read the biography of Dr. Seuss.
IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE:
1. FAVORITE COOKIE GRAPHING ACTIVITY
Students graph their family and friends favorite type of
2. ABC ORDER ACTIVITY
Students put the cookies with the story words in ABC order
(Two sets of six
cookies. Each set is a different design so that they can
be used separately or
both sets used together for more of a challenge.)
3. EATING A COOKIE MAKES ME THIRSTY GAME
Students roll a die and move along the path. The first to
reach the glass of milk is the winner.
4. STORY MAP REPRODUCIBLE: Students fill in the circles
on the story map.
5. RHYMING WORDS ACTIVITY: Students match together the
rhyming word cards (8 pairs)
6. SCIENCE EXPERIMENT: Students form a hypothesis about
what happens when a cookie is left in a glass of milk and
use their observation skills to explain the results.
7. MEMORY GAME CARDS: Students find the two cards with the
same cookie design.
8. FOLDER / BINDER COVER
9. ACTIVITY LETTER: Explaining how to do each activity
1. Calendar activity--Use the calendar to answer to answer
questions about the days and dates.
2. Mouse Glyph--Follow the directions to make their own
unique mouse glyph
3. Roll Call--Put the cards with the names of the students
class in ABC order.
4. Roll Call Count--Count the letters in each classmate's
name, record the findings with tally marks and then use the
information to answer the comparison questions about the
5. Story Element Flower--Fill in the blanks on the flower
petals to answer the
questions about the story elements.
6. Story Sequence Completion--Answer the question what
happened at the
beginning, middle, and end of the story.
7. Number Comparison--Compare the two numbers (one on each
Chrysanthemum's ear) using <, >, or = and write the correct
symbol on her head.
8. Tell Me About My Name—Interview a parent/guardian to
learn about you got your name.
9. Creative Writing- If you could name yourself any other
name, what would it be and why would you choose it.
DANNY AND THE DINOSAUR:
1. Story Discussion Questions: Answer the questions about
Danny and the Dinosaur.
2. Creative writing activity--If you were in the museum
with Danny, which
displays would you be sure to visit? Why? Draw a picture
to go with your answer.
3. Number Word/ Number Matching--Match the numbers to their
word (on dinosaur themed cards) (can be done for number 10-
100 counting by 10's or 1-10.
4. Dino Safari-- Use the descriptions to find different
types of dinosaurs
(using the dinosaur cutouts)
5. Dino-sort--Use the blank Venn diagram and dinosaur
attributes in each circle of the Venn diagram using a wipe
off marker. Sort the dinosaurs onto the Venn diagram using
the attributes you selected.
6. Brontosaurus Blends—Circle the consonant blend you hear
beginning of the name of each picture shown on the
7. Prehistoric Time--Fill in the time shown on each clock
(hour and half hour)
8. Dino-Days--Fill in the boxes with the days of the week
in the correct
order. Then, follow the directions given using the little
9. ABC Order--Put the cards with the dinosaur names in
10. Dino Addition--Match the dinosaur egg with the addition
problem to the correct dinosaur sum on the mat.
11. Dinosaur BINGO--Play a dinosaur bingo game
12. Dinosaur Vowels--Fill in the missing vowel to complete
each word so that it makes sense in the sentence.
THE GINGERBREAD MAN:
1. OBJECT / NUMBER MATCH: Count the painted on buttons on
gingerbread man and match them to the number gingerbread
man math mat.
2. MATH MATS (1-10): Put the math mats in number order from
1-10. Put the
correct number of gingerbread man cutouts on each card.
3. GINGERBREAD GLYPH: Follow the glyph directions to
complete your own
unique gingerbread man
4. BUTTON GRAPH: Sort and graph the buttons
5. BUTTON SORT AND COMPARE: Sort out the colored buttons
the questions about how many, are there more or less, etc.,
6. COLORFUL GINGERBREAD MEN PATTERNING: Color the
men on this reproducible sheet to create color patterns
7. GINGERBREAD WRITING: Complete this gingerbread man
creative writing activity
8. LOOKING FOR THAT GINGERBREAD MAN: Use the map of the
States to answer the questions about the locations of the
9. GINGERBREAD PLAY-DOH RECIPE: Have fun playing with the
scented homemade gingerbread play-doh they can make at home
reproducible recipe cards! Great for practicing measuring
skills and following
10. DECORATE A GINGERBREAD MAN: Have fun decorating their
Gingerbread Man in this fun art activity.
11. COMPOUND WORDS: Put together the two piece puzzles to
12. PARTS OF A FRIENDLY LETTER: Label the parts of the
that the Gingerbread Man wrote to the principal of your
school. You can then
write a friendly letter back to the Gingerbread Man.
13. ACTIVITY LETTER: Explains how to do each activity
MRS. WISHY-WASHY’S FARM:
1. ACTIVITY LETTER: Explains how to do each activity.
2. FARM ANIMAL GRAPH: Graph the farm animals (includes
farm animal picture cards for graphing)
3. WASH TUB MATH MAT: Create and record addition
sentences using the farm animals or other farm theme
manipulatives and the wash tub math mat.
4. ADDITION CARDS: Use the addition cards with the math
mat or solve the problems separately,
5. BEGINNING CONSONANT SOUND GAME: Draw a card. If the
picture on the car begins with a /c/ sound move to the next
cow picture. If it begins with a /d/ sound, move to the
next duck picture. If it begins with a /p/ sound, move to
the next pig picture. The first to reach the barn wins.
6. CLEAN or DIRTY SORT ACTIVITY: Sort the pictures on to
the mat according to whether they are clean or dirty
9. RHYMING PIGS: Match each word pig to the bubble with
it’s rhyming word (uses words from Mrs. Wishy-Washy’s Farm)
7. STORY SEQUENCING: Put the six sequencing strips in the
happened in the story Mrs. Wishy-Washy’s Farm
8. CITY OR COUNTRY: Decide if the picture cut outs are
things you would see in the city or in the country. Place
them on the correct side of the sort mat.
9. WHAT DO YOU LIKE BETTER? WRITING ACTIVITY: Do you like
the city or the farm better? Why?