Mathematics tuition offered to students studying for GCSE,
GCE "A" and "AS" levels, and also to junior school pupils
who are having difficulties with the subject.
I hold an MA in Mathematics/Philosophy and a PGCE
(Postgraduate Certificate of Education) from Oxford
I have many years' experience of teaching mathematics
I use only my own materials (unless the student has
specific worksheets that he or she wants to go through).
All teaching is on-line, through Skype or other medium.
I am also developing a web site especially for those who
have learning difficulties.
The main principles are:
• Learning is through solving problems. This is
"active" learning, rather than passive learning (listening
to a teacher, reading a book, watching a video, etc)
• Mathate has no fixed problems. Every question is
dynamically created according to the student's answers to
• The material only advances in complexity once the
student has shown a sufficient grasp at the present level
• If a student gives an incorrect answer, the
correct explanation appears one line at a time. It is much
easier to understand in this way, rather than when a whole
page of explanation is presented at the same time.
• All topics, whether they be concerned with
geometry, algebra, statistics, kinematics or other subject
matter have problems involving work with integers,
decimals and fractions. In this way the student gets
endless practice with each of these number forms.
Calculators may be used, but they are not of great
assistance when dealing with fractions.
• The question level in each subject ranges from the
very simple to the considerably challenging. Thus Mathate
is suitable for all ability levels.
• Mathate can of course be used at any time, 24
hours per day. It is always available, unlike a teacher
(school or private).
• One can start with any topic. It is not necessary
to work through the material in a certain order (although
of course the student must master the rudimentary
operations of arithmetic and algebra before tacking more
• Every student's answer is recorded, so the student
can pause and continue studying the same material later or
• Special "keyboards" appear when particular symbols
are required, such as degree, exponents, square root, etc.
Please call +44 7727 021721 or send an e-mail to
email@example.com. My Skype address is mathate10.
Posts on this thread, including this one