Guided Reading / Poetry Ideas
Here are some ideas that have proven successful...don't always do the same
thing. Make poems on charts and give each student their own copy.
* rhyming pattern & locate words that rhyme with _____.
* vocabulary study
* phonics ... vowel searches (short & long), blends, digraphs, dipthongs,
contractions, suffixes, compound words, etc.
* spelling changes
* locating synonyms, antonyms, homonyms for other words
* word families
* illustrate poem to support poem
* write a response to the poem or several sentences related to the poem's
topic & illustration
* use poems to introduce content areas
* echo read
* choral read
* partner read
* what do you notice (just ask kids this question & wow do they notice a lot!!)
* reflections ... write at least five sentences about what the relevance of the
poem to the children, what it reminds them about or why they liked/disliked it.