SHORT STORY PROJECT
Task: Students will create an original suspense/horror story.
1. The story must be a minimum of 1 1/2 pages
2. The story must contain all the elements of a short story: plot, character, setting, and theme.
3. The story must also be suspenseful an include an example of one of the three literary techniques used in a suspense story:
4. The story must be written in paragraph form with a title. Also, dialogue (what characters say) must be included.
5. The story must contain appropriate material for a class assignment. Please do not use:
1) Graphic violence
2) Inappropriate language / subject matter
Bottom line: If you can't say it in a house of worship or a court of law, DON'T SAY IT IN YOUR STORY!!!
6. All stories will be graded based upon class writing rubric.* Evaluations will be made upon:
1) Prewriting: Use of writing folder and index cards.
2) Drafting/Revising/Proofreading: Rough draft (may be typewritten)
3) Publication: Final word-processed draft will be assessed for..
a. Ideas and Content - The story has a clear main idea with supporting details
b. Organization - The story has a beginning/middle/end
c. Voice - The story is creative with a strong writing style (how the writer presents ideas)
d. Word Choice - The story has an assortment of vocabulary and describing words
e. Sentence fluency - The story is written proper sentence and paragraph structure
f. Conventions - The story is written with proper grammar/usage, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling.