1. read The Mitten by Jan Brett
2. have child draw their animal, on a piece of paper, that they would want to find in their mitten
3. assist child in writing "their words" about their animal and have child cut out animal
4. have child cut out two mittens (front and back) or provide the children with precut mittens.
5. help child punch holes around the outside of the mitten (except the bottom (wrist)). this should look like a lacing card.
6. have child lace mitten and tie the end.
7. attach the child's animal to a piece of yarn and attach the other end to the inside of the mitten.
8. child can then recreate story of The Mitten and have their animal find a warm place inside thier mitten.