Ramona N. Pope
Teaching Science in the Secondary School
Lesson Title: Classifying the Unknown
Instructional Objective: TLW physically arrange objects with
similar characteristics into groups and construct (write) a
list of common features for each group.
- Place students in small groups depending on the number of
students with no more than five students in each group.
- Read the instructions and give an example of grouping
based on different / similar characteristics.
- Next, give the students five minutes to develop
- Then, instruct the students to work with the other
members of their group and develop a common list.
- Finally, discuss the results and construct general list
on the board.
Directions: Considering characteristics such as the shape,
size, symmetry, color, and height of the objects on the
table in front of you, sort objects as you deem necesssary.
After seperating the objects into groups, give each group
a name and list the defining attributes or characteristics
for each group that you form. You have about five
minutes to complete the activity.