Subject: Educational Technology
Lesson Topic: Clip Art and Home Publishing
Grade Level: 1st-3rd
Objectives: The students will be able to. . .
- insert text and Clip Art into a page in a publishing program then resize
the picture "boxes"
- search clip art files for specific objects
- arrange an alphabet book from clip art
- Students should have a familiarity with computers. They should know how to print off documents and have some word processing skills, including changing font size.
- computers with a publishing program, printer, color ink cartridges, paper
- materials to put the alphabet book together
(ex. clear paper protectors, 3 ring binder, yarn, metal rings, etc.)
- a few examples of clip art
- (optional) 3x5 cards with instructions to get to the computer's edition of home publishing
- book -- Dr. Seuss's ABC by Seuss
- a sample page to show students what you are looking for in the alphabet page
- Read Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss as an "attention grabber." Show the students your example of clip art to explain that they will learn how to use clip art to make their own alphabet book.
Sequence of Activities:
- Instruct students on how to insert text and pictures into documents.
- Give the students practice inserting pictures and words.
- Show students how to change the sizes of the boxes.
- Instruct students on the "find" function. Give the students a list of objects to find and have them make the pictures different sizes. Have them print off and hand in their finished product.
(optional break point)
- Divide the letters of the alphabet among the students. Show them the sample page.
- Allow student creativity. Let them use a Dr. Seuss type method or a traditional method.
- Have the students print out their pages (with their name somewhere on the page) and creatively put all the letters together in a book.
- Read the student-made book out loud, while showing the pictures to the class.
Evaluation: Alphabet Book and the page with the practice "finding"