We had been reading the "Frog and Toad" stories for reading group.
The students really enjoy the stories and we decided we wanted to
write one of our own.
1. Brainstorm ideas for characters, events and place that
might be used in the story.
2. Reduce the number of ideas to a workable few (I used a class vote--the top three
vote getters were included in the story.)
3. With the students, begin working on storyline and plot.
4. Continue writing and editing the story until everyone is
happy with the product.
5. I assigned different parts of our created story to student teams. (Each team would create
one page of the story, later to be combined into a book.) Each team was responsible for illustrating
and adding text to their part of the story.
6. After all pages have been created, print enough pages to create
a book for each student.