Care for teeth
- Children know how to care for their teeth.
- Children know how their teeth are build.
- Children know what happens if they don't clean their teeth.
- Children know how they can keep their teeth clean.
- Children know what happens at the dentist's office.
- Children know how to brush their teeth.
- When you start with a lot of very young children, read "Little bear brushes h is teeth, Jutta Langreuter and Vera Sobat, isbn 0-7613-0230-1" or
"Bye, bye, thumb sucking, Bonnie Worth, a Muppet Press book" to them.
- Tell the children about baby teeth (= milk teeth), permanent teeth,
three kinds of teeth.
- Show the children "the Map of your tooth,
in book Tooth truth, Jennifer Storey-Gilles." and read with the
it is build.
- Tell the children about Plaque and Cavity, and discuss how to avoid
WHAT CAN WE DO TO KEEP OUR TEETH CLEAN?
The answer has to include: brush your teeth, use fluoride (toothpaste
and supplements), go to the dentist, don't eat sticky sweets
(examples) but healthy snacks (examples), flossing, no thumb sucking or
pacifier, not with a baby bottle to bed.
- Give the children the brochure "teeth need love too (in Spanish and
English available, Santa Clara County Health Department)
- WHO HAS BEEN TO THE DENTIST BEFORE? WHAT DOES THE DENTIST DO?
- Use a mirror to show the children their teeth. Some of them are
- Show the children the tooth chart from the milk teeth and the adult teeth.
- Show the children with the big model and the big brush how to brush
Ask one of the children to repeat it.
- Give every child a toothbrush and start to brush. Put the brush-along
song on while they are brushing.
Some interesting webpages:
National Dental Organization Directory
Welcome to Dr. Rabbit's No Cavities Clubhouse! Here are the exciting things waiting for you:
Ask the dentist
The Sugar Association, Inc 1101 15th Street, NW Suite 600
Washington, DC 20005