Kindergarten and First Grade Math
Money Matters in the Store
To count, record and calculate money.
To motivate young children to save money.
To understand the value of jobs and being a hard worker.
Three Weeks Activities:
1. Beforehand, you should discuss about the characteristics of penny, nickel, dime and quarter.
2. The teacher should announce that the children would be working for her during work hours. Every activity finished and for good behavior recognition, the children will earn play money (you may decide how much). Prepare piggy banks so they may save the money earned.
3. Piggy banks could be recycled water bottles, jar boxes and etc.
4. At the end of the three-week period, you should prepare a store where children can use their play money to buy things from the class's store.
5. Make sure you explain the procedure to eliminate some problems.
6. Explaining the lesson to the parents may result to a fun activity.