INTRODUCTION: Begin with a story about playing in the rain. Talk about clouds above your head and puddles under your feet. Tell how you saw a huge puddle and knew your mom would not want you to get your clthes muddy so you went around it. Then you didn't think that was much fun so you jumped over it. Still no fun so you jumped through it.
ACTIVITY: Give each child their own hoop. Give them several challenges to accomplish:
- Can you jump in and out of your hoop w/o falling
- Can you jump backwards out of your hoop
- Can you do a jumping jack in the air as you jump
and several others. Then give them partner challenges:
- Can you roll your hoop to your partner
- Can you jump through the hoop as your partner rolls it
- Can you run around your hoop as it is rolling
Then you can play a cooperative game called shipwreck. Using the music from the Little Mermaid have the children begin in thier own hoop. When the music plays they must jump around in the water not getting on any boat(hoop). Each round one ship will sink (be removed) See how many of the children can fit inside one hoop without falling out.
This is a fun and exciting way to learn about the concepts of over under around and through!