#1094. Romeo and Juliet Newspaper
Literature, level: Middle
Posted Thu Jun 24 10:07:01 PDT 1999 by Carli Francois ().
St. James High School, St. James, LA
Materials Required: Paper, typewriter or wordprocessor
Activity Time: 2-3 class periods
Concepts Taught: Creating a newspaper based on reading a play
First, have students brainstorm the many different sections that are featured in a newspaper.
Then explain to them that they will be creating their very own newspaper based on the play "Romeo and Juliet."
Explain to them that their newpaper title and all that the paper contains must be about the storyline.
Here are some examples of the titles and articles that some of my students have used in the past:
Title: The Verona Times
Articles: 1. A feature story about Romeo and others who crashed the Capulet party (where Romeo first meets Juliet)
2. A wedding announcement for Paris and Juliet
3. An advice column where Juliet writes in for advice about her forbidden love for Romeo
4. An obituary that includes all characters who die in the play
5. Classified ads that are advertising things that are in the story
such as: Romeo's dagger, the apothecary's poison, Friar Lawrence's herbs, etc.
6. A comic strip
7. A crossword puzzle using the characters' names
Students write their articles out and then type them to cut and paste their nespaper.
*This activity can be done individualy or in small groups.