1. Students brainstorm a list of topics for writing a how-to paragraph that could be done in the confines of the classroom.
2. After topic selection is made, students write a list of all materials needed to complete the how-to.
3. Students will write a list of sequenced steps to complete the how-to.
4. Students use their pre-writing list to write a paragraph. First sentence should state what the how-to is about. Next the students should tell what materials would be needed. Then the students should write in sequence the steps. The last sentence should conclude the paragraph.
5. During the writing process, students should write very clearly and concisely, assuming nothing. First drafts would be edited and proofed. Neat final drafts are written.
6. Finally, on the last day, students will bring to class all items needed to complete their how-to.
7. Each student name is put in a drawing. Names are drawn randomly to complete someone else's how-to. Students are to follow the directions exactly as written. The writer of the how-to may not say a word.
8. The grading is based on how easily it was to follow and complete as written.
THIS IS ONE OF THE FAVORITE ACTIVITIES OF MY STUDENTS IN LANGUAGE ARTS!! THEY LOVE IT!