Students will understand note values and relationships, especially dotted rhythms and tied notes by giving them a visual, hands on representation
Laminated posterboard or card stock with _+_=_
Flashcards of notes of various beat values
String or pipe cleaners
Dry erase markers
1. Have a card prepared for each student as well as a few cards with note values.
2. Discuss with the students beat values for the different types of notes.
3. Have students combine notes on their card to come up with a note of a different beat value. (i.e. 1/2 note (2 beats) + 1/4 note(1 beat)= dotted half note(3 beats)
4. Use string or pipe cleaners to represent ties. (i.e. 1/4 note(1 beat) tied to 1/8 note(1/2 beat)= dotted quarter note (1 1/2 beats)
5. Have sudents write the beat values of the notes under each card.
Assessment is made based on obsevation of student understanding. Try a relay game with prepared note equations on a chalk or marker board to test the level of understanding.