Mix plaster of paris with water and potting soil to desired hardness. Layer artifactsin order of superposition (oldest strata on bottom) I like to use shells, arrowheads (reproductions), bone fragments to denote paleo age. cover with another layer of soil mix. add second stratum of trade beads (repro), religous artifacts, musket balls, pottery shards,spanish coins, etc to denote european contact. Again, cover with mixture and add more modern artifacts, religous, objects, coinage, small toys, effigy figures, and anything of the last century.
Directions to students:
follow directions exactly so as to not damage or lose any artifacts.
1. Use "excavating tools" as directed
2. Do not break apart your "dig" block,
bursh and scrape it carefully
3. Wash artifacts carefully and dry
4. place all artifacts in zip-lock bag some
may be very small
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR "DIG"
1. LIST AND DESCRIBE IN DETAIL (SIZE, COLOR, MATERIAL,AGE,FUNCTION,ASSOCIATION,STRATUM,ETC. OF EACH ARTIFACT.
BE SURE TO INCLUDE DRAWINGS AND REFERENCES PERTAINING TO EACH ARTIFACT