Making A Family Database
grading: homework = 10 pts
#1-10 = 80 pts.
when you finish = 10 pts.
1. Boot Microsoft works - windows
2. Create a new file - database
3. Create the fields below and the heading. Skip a line between each field. Be sure to type a :
(colon) after each field.
Family database for (your name)
Last Name: (width = 15 spaces)
First Name: (width = 12 spaces)
Relation: (width = 15 spaces)
Home State: (width = 10 spaces)
Age: (width = 4 spaces)
Height: (width = 7 spaces)
4. After you have entered all the fields, enter you family's records. Be sure to tap the TAB key to
move down to the next field (shift TAB moves up fields). Don't forget to enter the height in inches.
5. When you are done entering all information, check to make sure everything is correct by looking
in the LIST view (click VIEW, LIST). You must also change the field widths to the same widths
as above (FORMAT, FIELD WIDTH). This will allow you to see all information in the records.
6. Sort your database from oldest to youngest:
a. Click TOOLS, SORT RECORDS.
b. In first field, click on the arrow to get AGE and click on Descending
c. Click OK. You should now see your records from oldest to youngest.
7. Make a report: Choose TOOLS, CREATE NEW REPORT.
a. Type Family Database for (your name) **Don't click OK yet!
b. Add ALL FIELDS by clicking ADD for each field. Then click OK 1 time
c. Now you are in Report Statistics screen. Get the average age by clicking on AGE, then
click on AVERAGE. Then click OK.
8. PRINTING YOUR REPORT:
a. Click on FILE, PAGE SETUP and change your left and right margins to .5
b. Do a PRINT PREVIEW. If it fits on one page, print. If not, raise your hand.
9. NAME YOUR REPORT:
a. Choose TOOLS, NAME REPORT...
b. Click the box next to NAME and type in Whole Family
c. Click on RENAME, then click DONE.
10. Save as FAMILY1
When you finish (worth the last 10 points):
Putting in a formula and using query to select records
1. Choose TOOLS, MAKE A NEW REPORT
a. Title: Family members younger than 32
b. Add fields LAST, FIRST, AGE, HEIGHT and then tap OK twice to get to Report
c. In column E in HEADINGS row, type Inches/Year
d. In column E in RECORD row, type =Height/Age (this is like a formula in
e. Now format your formula. With it still highlighted, choose Format, Number, fixed,
2. Make a QUERY. Choose TOOLS, CREATE NEW QUERY.
a. In letter A, click on the arrow to choose Age
b. In letter B, click on the arrow to choose Less than
c. In letter E, type in 32
d. In letter F, choose height
e. In letter G, choose greater than
f. In letter I, type 55
3. Do a Print Preview and zoom in. You should see all those people who are less than 32 and
over 55 inches tall. Print your report if it fits on one page.
4. Save as FAMILY2