Objective: The student will be able to solve addition and subtraction problems.
South Carolina Curriculum Standards:
II.A.1. Demonstrate concretely and symbolically the meaning of one-digit and two-digit addition and subtraction.
II.B. Understand the effects of adding and subtracting whole numbers.
III. B.1.Recall basic addition facts with sums up to 18 and the corresponding subtraction facts.
1. The teacher will use a marker to write addition/subtraction problems on index cards not including the answer. There should be enough for each student to have one.
2. The teacher will place the index cards upside down on the student's desks.
3. The students will then stand behind their desk with a sheet of paper and a pencil waiting for the music to start. Once the music starts the students will turn over the index card and write the problem and answer it before the music stops.
4. The teacher will stop the music and the students will turn over the index card and move to the desk to their right.
5. The teacher and students will repeat steps 3 and 4 until the students are back at their assigned seat.
6. The teacher will call each student to the board to write the math problem they have on their desk along with the answer.
The teacher will check each problem that is written on the board by the students.