Activities: (best if completed around Valentine's DAy)
1) At the beginning of class, students will see the following list of literary terms on the overhead that they should've taken notes on in previous classes:
2) Students will define these terms in their own words, and the definitions will be discussed aloud after approx. 10 min.
3) Students will be given a handout called "Willie's Wild Goose Chase" which has a chart where the terms are listed, and spaces for students to write examples of each term that they find in Romeo and Juliet. Students can work in partners for this activity (approx. 30-45 min.).
4) The class will dicuss various examples found from the play.
5) Students will receive a handout called "Falling in Love with Shakespeare" with instructions for them to create a poem to put in a Valentine for a "special someone." Students must write at least a 10-line poem using a couplet rhyme scheme, and must also include their own exampls of several of the terms mentioned above.
6) Students will use the remaining time in class to compose and design their Shakespearian Valentines using the materials provided, and should finish the assignment for homework.
*Students will be given a class work grade for the "Goose chase" handout.
*Students will get a homework grade for the Valentine.
*Students will be tested on the literary terms at the end of the unit.