Social Studies Lesson Plan Grade 7-8
The ABC's of History
This lesson plan will work with any social studies subject. It may be used to introduce a lesson or assess understanding of a subject already taught.
Access to library, Internet, computer lab, paper, pen pencil, and any other resource books (students may not use the textbook).
Reading, Writing, Research, and Visual Arts
1. Students will demonstrate higher order thinking skills by analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing information generated through the instruction model.
2. Students will demonstrate their understanding of the subject.
3. Students will share in the responsibility of learning and take ownership of the facts researched. It will aid in memory because it will be a topic that is chosen by the student.
Students are to chose any 5 letters in their complete name (titles excluded) and find facts beginning with that letter concerning the topic to be taught. This lesson may be modified for gifted/talented (GT) students to use the first 5 letters of their name and for special education (SPED) students to use any 5 letters of the alphabet. Students will research the chosen facts and write one complete paragraph on each fact including references. GT must include an outline. SPED may present the research orally.
Facts researched may include:
· Maps (where the country is in the world and map of the country)
· Culture information
· History of the country
· Flora of the country (include 1 picture)
· Person(s) or group
· Significant dates