1. On the board, list the following words: race, racism, prejudice, bias, discrimination, and stereotype. Have the students use dictionaries to write the definitions of these words. Discuss the meanings of the words in everyday life.
2. Read the book, Mr. Lincoln's Way by Patricia Polacco to the class.
3. Discuss the events in the story, relating them to the words.
4. Pass the white paper out to the class. Instruct the students to draw a bird (any size, shape, color, etc. any kind will do!).
5. When students are finished drawing, they should write a paragraph discussing what makes their bird special and unique.
6. Give the students a chance to talk and share about their drawings, then display the birds.