Lesson Plan Title: Groundhog Sizes
Concept / Topic To Teach: Order objects by size
MATH STANDARD Order objects up to three
General Goal(s): Order objects by size
TSWBAT order three objects from smallest to biggest.
TSWBAT order three objects from biggest to smallest.
Three Class Poster groundhogs (Small, medium, large)
Class Set of paper groundhogs (Small, Medium, Large)
Bag of objects ( fry cartons, candles, stuffed animals, etc.) Each object should have a small, medium, and large version.
Anticipatory Set (Lead-In):
Today we are going to learn how to put groundhogs in order. Please look at my groundhogs. Do you notice anything about them? Are they different in some way?
1. Call all children to group (circle time).
2. Place each poster groundhog on the floor. SAY:Today we are going to learn how to put groundhogs in order. Please look at my groundhogs. Do you notice anything about them? Are they different in some way? Let students give responses.
3. Boys and girls I noticed that my groundhogs are all different sizes. Who can tell me by looking at my groundhog which one is the biggest? Place the biggest groundhog in the first position in front of you.
4. Boys and girls who can tell me which groundhog is the smallest? Place the smallest groundhog in the third position.
5. What size do you think this groundhog is? Hold up the medium groundhog. Talk about its size. Place it in the middle position.
6. Repeat the process with the groundhogs going from smallest to biggest.
7. Pass out paper groundhogs to each student. Have the students practice placing there groundhogs in order from biggest to smallest.
8. Repeat step seven going from smallest to biggest.
9. Place the bag of objects with groups of students and let them practice ordering the objects.
ASSESSMENT: Have each student come to you and order a set of three objects from biggest to smallest. Repeat going from smallest to biggest.