SC Standards: 1-R1.13, 1- R2.3, 1-R1.17
Objectives: TSW summarize each story in order to compare and contrast them and
record ideas on a Venn diagram.
TSW determine the point of view of each story.
TSW write using a friendly letter format.
Procedure: 1. The class will summarize (or read if the students are not familiar with the story) the traditional story of The Three Little Pigs and list the main events.
2. The teacher will introduce point of view and discuss the point of view of the traditional story.
3. The teacher will introduce The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, by Jon Scieszka and the class will predict the point of view.
4. The teacher will read the story to the class and then discuss the point of view.
5. The class will also discuss their feelings about the wolf's innocence.
Using a Venn diagram, the class will compare and contrast the two stories.
5. The teacher will model writing two postcards with the class
- written to the pigs from the wolf's perspective
- written to the wolf from the pigs' perspectives
6. The students will choose the perspective of either the wolf or the pigs and write a postcard to the other character using a friendly letter format.
Assessment: postcard written in correct perspective
letter format (heading, greeting, body, closing)