Prior Learning Needed:
- how to add and multiply decimals
1. Review the process needed to add and multiply decimals through a class discussion.
2. Students will be divided into partners.
3. Each pair will be given a sales paper from a grocery store.
4. Students will then be instructed to plan a meal for 20 people. They must have at least five 2 liter soft drinks, some type of meat (students will decide how many pounds of meat they believe they will need), at least five side items, and at least five desserts.
5. On notebook paper students will list the type of drink they will purchase. They must then multiply the price by the number of drinks they will purchase. They must multiply the price of the meat by the number of pounds they will purchase. Then students will then add the price of all the side items that they will purchase together, to get a total for their sides. Next, students will add the price of all the desserts that they will purchase together to get a total for their sides. Finally, they will add all of their totals together to come up with a Grand Total for their shopping trip.
When students are finished planning their meal, they will bring their paper to me to check their calculations. I will circle any calculation that is not correct. Students will then have a chance to go back and find their mistake on their own. If students come back with a calculation that is still incorrect, I will show them where they went wrong and how to fix the problem.