Materials: Cookie Cutter Shapes, Play-Dough, Plastic Knife,
1. Give the students 30 seconds to flatten out their play-dough with the doweling rod.
2. Use container to cut out a circle shape.
3. Divide shape:
4. Can anyone divide the circle into thirds?
5. Add some of the fraction pieces together.
6. Subtract some of the fraction pieces.
7. Compare ½ and ¼.
8. If the parts are not equal is the whole divided up into proper fractions? Why or why not?
9. Equivalent Fractions
10. Try using other cutter pieces to make other types of fractions.