Launch (Anticipatory Set):
Discuss with students:
• Everyday nearly 800 Americans suffer sudden cardiac arrest at home, work, or in a public place.
Fewer than 8% survive. CPR can more than double or triple a victim's chance for survival.
• Immediately responding to an emergency with the appropriate steps can mean the difference
between life and death.
• The most urgent medical emergencies are those in which the victim is unresponsive or has
Students will access the Internet and type in the address http://www.bethebeat.heart.org/. They will
explore the website and answer questions on the student handout. By answering all the questions
correctly, students will become familiar with the learning activities on the website. Students will use tools on this website in future lessons.
Discuss with students
• "Be the Beat" is a resource for students to gain the skills and knowledge needed to respond to a sudden cardiac arrest.
• This website can empower youth through CPR/AED information.
• By teaching more people how to respond in an emergency, this website will give cardiac arrest
victims a better chance of survival.
• Students can become advocates for CPR/AED awareness for their family, school, and community
by sharing this website with others.
**Worksheet can be found at http://bethebeat.heart.org/schools**