Keeping a Journal
Objectives: Students will learn the purpose for journaling and how to go about making entries.
Materials: New Composition books (one per student), writing utensil, teacher's personal journal/diary, Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin, any available craft materials
1. Teacher will read the Diary of a Worm. The teacher will talk with students about what the worm kept in their journal and why it was important to write it down.
2. Teacher will explain the importance of keeping a journal by sharing her own journal.
3. Teacher will explain how she goes about making an entry and what an entry can consist of (anything!).
4. Teacher will pass out journals and give the students a few minutes to decorate them using whatever available crafts she has on hand.
5. Students will then compose their first entry.
6. After a few minutes the teacher will pick a few students to share what they have written.