Top 10 Reasons for Choosing Abstinence
I generated this "Top 10" list after teaching Health for 16 years, but there are certainly other reasons for abstinence and you may want to change the 10, adding in your own ideas. For this reason, I included this handout in Word so you could edit and make it your own. You can change the order, or add or change anything that you want. Here it is:
10. to keep your reputation
9. so you can know the person likes you for you
8. so your parent's won't be disappointment
7. because you're not ready for sex yet
6. to save yourself from all the emotional baggage teen sex can have (regret, doubt, fear, anger, feeling betrayed. . .)
5. you want to focus on your education or future career
4. because you don't want a sexually transmitted disease/infection
3. you want to save sex for that one special person and/or marriage
2. because you don't want to get pregnant
1. because you want to uphold your religious or moral values
I have this Top 10 List on a nice handout with graphics and complete lesson plans and teacher directions for FREE at:
You have several options in deciding how you want to use this handout. Here are several ideas. (Be sure to see my awesome 3-week Sex Ed Unit and lessons in the links below!)
1. Have students guess what they think the top 10 reasons for abstinence are (I included the handout with blanks below so they can fill it in as they think it should be). For this option, don't show them the one filled in at all. There are no "right" or "wrong" answers. They can decorate their handout and put their own designs on it. Make it a competition and post the winners around school for others to get the positive message about abstinence.
2. Give the handout to students as is with the answers on it, and have them debate if the "Top 10" order should change. Next hand them a blank and have them use the blank handout to prioritize how they feel the list should be. (at this point you could allow them to change the list or add any other reasons they thought of). They then keep their list as a resource. You could also have them decorate/color it.
3. Hand out the "Top 10" list and then each student will research and find a true story about a teen who did not keep one of the "Top 10" reasons and then had some negative or hurtful consequences. Share out in class.
4. Hand out the "Top 10" list and then have each student write a realistic story about a teen who does not follow one or more of the "Top 10" reasons and then had negative or hurtful consequences in their life. Read outloud and share in class.
5. I have a "Sexual Pressures" lesson that would be a great follow-up to this handout.
6. I have a FREE "Sex Ed. Homework to do with a Parent" lesson that would be a great follow-up to this handout.
7. For each of the "Top 10" reasons have students write under it a negative emotion that a teen might feel if they didn't keep that reason. For instance under "keep your reputation" you might write the word, "embarrassed." This is the "emotional baggage" from #6.
Check out my other health lessons:
if these links don't open go to my home page + find the titles:
"The Best Heatlh Curriculum"- A Complete 90-Day Semester of Health Lessons NEW!!!
(If you liked the step-by-step format of this lesson and how it followed the PowerPoint, you'll love this complete curriculum!) Each lesson has step-by-step teacher directions that go along with a daily PowerPoint. It's 772 pages of teacher directions with documents and there are over 1800 total PowerPoint slides!) Check it out at:
Complete 2, 3, and 4-Week Health Class Units:
DRUG UNIT: 3-Weeks of Plans
ALCOHOL UNIT: 9 DAYS OF LESSONS
TOBACCO UNIT: 5 DAYS OF LESSONS
NUTRITION UNIT: 3 WEEKS OF DAILY PLANS http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Nutrition-Unit-3-Weeks-of-Daily-Plans-190-Slide-PwrPt-Directions-
SEX ED. UNIT: 3 WEEK UNIT PART 1
SEX ED. UNIT: 3 WEEK UNIT PART 2:
IMPROVING EMPATHY AND SELF-ESTEEM; AND STOPPING STEREOTYPES, PREJUDISMS, ANGER, BULLYING, AND VIOLENCE (4 Weeks of Lesson Plans)
STRESS UNIT: 2.5 Weeks of Surveys, Worksheets, Projects, + Final Test
IMPROVING SELF-ESTEEM UNIT: POWERPOINT AND 7 ACTIVITIES
Sex Ed. Unit Lessons:
SEX ED. UNIT: 3 WEEK UNIT PART 1
SEX ED. UNIT: 3 WEEK UNIT PART 2
BIRTH CONTOL LESSON
HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS: WHAT DO THEY LOOK LIKE?
SEX ED. PRESSURE LINES LESSON: A POWERPOINT AND ASSERTIVE REFUSAL
SEX ED FINAL UNIT TEST/ASSESSMENT
SEX ED. OPT-OUT LETTER FOR PARENTS WITH ALTERNATE ASSIGNMENTS http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Sex-Education-Opt-Out-Letter-for-Parents-with-Alternate-Assignments
SEX ED HOMEWORK TO DO WITH A PARENT FREE! at:
Check out my own website where I have free classroom and lesson tips of the month, awesome surveys with a new one posted each month, and new enriching articles posted each month: