objective: To introduce alphabetical order using the names of childrenin your classroom
procedure: 1. Introduce lesson by singing "Santa Claus is coming to town".
2. Discuss what kind of list Santa has.
3. Read Santa's Book of Names by David Mcphail
4. Talk about the letters of the alphabet and the order they come in.
5. Pass out the sentence strips with each child's name on to each child.
6. Have all the A's stand up. Then have the audience help to put the children into order.
Velcro their names onto a pre-made "Teacher's list" of good students, just as they should be in A,B,C order.
7. Continue until all the names have been posted on your list.
follow up: You could then use this list to refer to when discussing ordinal numbers.