1. Read Many Biomes, One World by Sneed B. Collard III to the class.
2. Discuss characteristics of the different biomes/habitats
3. Introduce the format of a lantern poem. A lantern poem has 5 lines. Line one has one syllable (or one word), line two has two syllables, line three has three syllables, line four has four syllables and line five has one syllable.
4. Teacher modeling: Write example poem on chart paper. Explain that each poem must include a description of the habitat and both plants and animals that live in the habitat.
5. Guided practice: Use interactive writing to write an additional example for class. Have class help count syllables.
6. Independent practice: Students will write and illustrate their own poems. Have books featuring different habitats available as resources.
7. Closure: Allow students to share their writing