OH Teachers
3 Members

Support Our Sponsors!

Start a new discussion...
Hi everyone,

I am going to be a newbie to Mason, Ohio in a few weeks. I tried today to email the department of education, but was told to call and speak to someone. However, I am really hoping that you can help me.

I currently posess an Arizona teaching certificate in Elementary Education with endorsements in Structured English Immersion and Reading Specialist.

I know I will have to take the Praxis, but which one? Do I have also take it in the areas I have endorsements in as well? Also, are there any classes that I will have to take? In Arizona, some new teachers have to take the Arizona Constitution and U.S. Constitution.

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated. I will keep checking the boards until Friday. My internet is being turned off then.

Thanks for all of your help. By the way, I have sent emails to Mason and Lebannon asking about volunteering/employment opportunities. In your opinion, was this a good move or a bad one?
Southern transplant to newbie Newbie,

I had to send in my out of state packet along with my transcripts in order for the OH Dept. of Ed. to tell me what I needed to do in order to get my certificate. In GA I was certified PK-5 but here I am only PK-3 and I still have to take an additional phonics course for renewal in 5 years. Honestly they will have to take a look at ...See More
Oct 6, 2009
Newbie Hi Southern transplant,

Thanks for the tip. Guess I will just have to wait until I get to Ohio to finish up stuff. Why is your certification not covering 4-5? I too graduated about 11 years ago, but I had to take the phonics course as part of my reading specialist endorsement. If I just have to take the Praxis, then that is what I will tak...See More
Oct 6, 2009
license Hi Newbie,

The license doesn't cover 4-5 because Ohio's licensure is banded differently. Thye go PK-3, 4-9, and 7-12. So, an out of state license covering k-5 only fits in the first band. This was changed about 8 years ago. Although, they are now looking at changing it again. Also, you can add on an endorsement to be able to teach 4-6 grad...See More
Oct 7, 2009
To newbie to Ohio teaching from southern transplant I recently found out that in order to get a 4-5 certificate it requires a 45h & 5th grade Materials & Methods course so I could get it that way. Be prepared to market yourself like crazy. I had to get really creative in making my name and face recognized. I wish you the best of luck.

On 10/06/09, Newbie wrote: > Hi Southern tra...See More
Oct 9, 2009

Teacher Chatboards


Subject Areas

Language Arts

Foreign Language