Alerts
New Jobs on Teachers.Net




Brandeis Hillel Day Sc...
Anywhere

Brandeis Hillel Day Sc...
Anywhere

Harlem Link Charter Sc...
Anywhere

CSUB
Bakersfield

States

Re: Consider reading...
teacher

    Is there a way to compare SAT scores of minority students and students
    from lower socioeconomic backgrouds. My bet would be that these
    students from California would score higher on SATs than similar
    students from California.
    On 6/11/08, Math Teacher wrote:
    > If you say so.
    >
    > You lost credibility when you decided that one of the supports for
    > your argument was that you were "gorgeuos, but taken."
    >
    > Of course, you wouldn't want to look at anything that might cause you
    > to question you're religiously-held beliefs about your pre-eminence,
    > would you?
    >
    >
    > On 6/10/08, Ali wrote:
    >> Actually, they're called -- say it with me -- books.
    >>
    >> They're neat things with pretty words and sentences in them. They
    >> have information that is pertinent to this debate. Of course, you
    >> wouldn't want to look at anything that might cause you to question
    >> you're religiously-held beliefs about your pre-eminence, would you?
    >>
    >> Oh well. Your loss.
    >>
    >> 15 vs. 43. We're equal on stats. What else can you dig up, math
    >> teacher?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 6/10/08, Math Teacher wrote:
    >>> Just more excuses.
    >>>
    >>> On 6/10/08, Ali wrote:
    >>>> ESL's not the only problem. Poverty and lack of parental
    >>>> education as well as the way schools are funded add extensively
    >>>> to the difficulties American educators face.
    >>>>
    >>>> If you want to read up on our national education system, you
    >>>> should look into Jonathon Kozol's Savage Inequalities and Shame
    >>>> of the Nation.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> On 6/07/08, Math teacher wrote:
    >>>>> Your argument falls apart quickly when you look at the facts.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> All state measurements in the listing noted use averages. So
    >>>>> it is an apples-apples comparison.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> ESL is also not a factor since the lowest states on the list
    >>>>> are not ESL states. Are the people in Maine speaking French-
    >>>>> Canadian and that is why they are so low? Is South Carolina
    >>>>> now considered a border state? Why are Arizona and New Mexico
    >>>>> so much higher than California? They have large ESL/Spanish
    >>>>> populations.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> No, there is no ESL correlation. You are trying to dance
    >>>>> around the facts.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> California education is in the lower 1/3 of the country.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> On 6/06/08, Goody Goody wrote:
    >>>>>> CA is #35 according to the site.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> These are "average" scores.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> CA did pretty well for a being such large state that is
    >>>>>> dealing with so many ESL/ELA students.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> On 6/06/08, Get a life wrote:
    >>>>>>> For those whiners who want to be politically correct
    >>>>>>> and "goody goody"
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> State SAT scores for 2007
    >>>>>>> http://www.midwestsites.com/stellent2/groups/public/documen
    >>>>>>> ts/pub/mws_am_ed_000924.hcsp
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Colorado #18
    >>>>>>> California #36
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Not even close.