Alerts
New Jobs on Teachers.Net

Little Jack's Corner,...
Burbank


Panama Coast Internati...
Anywhere


Oakland Avenue Charter...
Oakland

Brandeis Hillel Day Sc...
San Francisco

States

    Re: This is My Illinois
    Merrillv2

    On 11/30/12, anon wrote:
    > The troll also doesn't get the fact Illinois teachers do NOT pay
    > into Social Security and therefore cannot get it or get a
    > reduced benefit if they paid into it in other work for a
    > substantial period.
    >
    > They also can't get a spouse's SS if the spouse dies.

    On 11/30/12, anon wrote:
    > The troll also doesn't get the fact Illinois teachers do NOT pay
    > into Social Security and therefore cannot get it or get a
    > reduced benefit if they paid into it in other work for a
    > substantial period.
    >
    > They also can't get a spouse's SS if the spouse dies.

    Decades ago, teachers in Illinois were offered the chance to go on
    social security, but the union concluded the pension was a better deal.

    It seems to be sped's contention that people can't complain
    government corruption and fraud, since these people voted the
    government in. I guess he thinks elected officials can do whatever
    they want once elected, and tough shi* to everyone else.

    The cost of "pension pickups" is vast, and is one of the reasons why
    the pension system is broken.

    Maybe if you had been paying FOR YOUR OWN FU**ING PENSIONS!!! for
    the past 40 years, the state wouldn't be in such a mess.

    Just as the state is obligated by law to pay its portion of the
    pension, teachers were obligated by law to do the same: you didn't.
    You made some backroom deal without the public's knowledge or input
    that absolved you from contributing, and now there is a financial
    crisis.

    Well good luck with that. Either the state will jack up income taxes
    on everyone again, levy draconian, regressive sales taxes and fees
    on everyone, or your pension will go broke, and your retirement will
    be history.

    The "looters and moochers" will get what is coming to them.

    >
    >
    >
    > On 11/30/12, anon wrote:
    >> All true. This troll Merrill doesn't understand the
    >> concept of deferred compensation or of contracts.
    >>
    >> The troll Merrill doesn't understand the very large
    >> percentage of workers in previous decades had defined
    >> benefit pensions and not the scams called 401(k)s, which
    >> were never designed to be pensions in the first place until
    >> Washington policies and loopholes made it easy for
    >> companies to renege on their obligations to their workers.
    >> We need a return to the pension system for workers, not
    >> make more workers impoverished.
    >>
    >> If Merrill thinks teaching is so easy, he can go ahead and
    >> go into it or into some other public sector job.
    >>
    >> Public sector workers are also taxpayers.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 11/29/12, therealsped wrote:
    >>> On 11/29/12, Merrill wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> You say you have paid into your pension in three out
    >>>> of four districts? What about the fourth? Is Mandy
    >>>> down at Walmart picking up your pension now? Must be
    >>>> nice getting free retirement.
    >>>
    >>> Mandy at Walmart isn't picking up my retirement. I
    >>> don't work for Mandy. I work for a school district
    >>> which is doing so. You don't seem to get the
    >>> difference. That's OK, most teacher have experience
    >>> with kids who just refuse to get it. BTW, I'm an
    >>> administrator and not a member of a union. This is
    >>> something that I personally negotiated in my employment
    >>> contract. Do you have a problem with this? I'm really
    >>> good at what I do...
    >>>
    >>>> I'm sure you cry all the way to WalMart in your Lexus.
    >>>
    >>> I don't shop at Walmart ever and I don't drive a Lexus.
    >>>
    >>> I like how the VP of
    >>>> the teacher's union shows up at hard-core Marxist
    >>>> rallies, along with hundreds of teachers, in order to
    >>>> denounce the rich, threaten the government, and to
    >>>> call for revolution
    >>>>
    >>>> How can we expect these people to even be remotely
    >>>> objective or fair in the classroom? Radicals don't
    >>>> make good teachers.
    >>>
    >>> Right Comrade, Marxism whatever. Teachers are entitled
    >>> to their political opinion. I know quite extreme
    >>> right-wing teachers as well. I also know very religious
    >>> teachers and believing in a guy who lives on a cloud
    >>> and judges everyone is a whole lot scarier to me than
    >>> someone who believes in taxing the rich to give to the
    >>> poor... like Jesus believed come to think of it. I'm
    >>> actually management, by the way. But I believe teachers
    >>> deserve good pay and the best way to achieve that
    >>> through being members of a union.
    >>>
    >>>> No, it is not a "negotiated compensation"
    >>>> in the sense that the taxpayers had any input, or
    >>>> even KNOWLEDGE OF what was going on. It was a
    >>>> backroom deal that was partially responsible for
    >>>> bankrupting the pension system.
    >>>
    >>> Tax payers have input when they elect school board
    >>> members. The school board then hires administrators who
    >>> negotiate contracts. The school board then approves the
    >>> contract. The United States is not a direct democracy
    >>> at any level of government and can't realistically be.
    >>> That would mean that the public would have to vote on
    >>> every single act of government. Not possible and not
    >>> the American system. You elect people to run various
    >>> levels of government. They do so. If you don't like it,
    >>> vote a different way or run yourself. However, most
    >>> school board positions are unpaid, and you probably
    >>> won't like running the school district yourself for
    >>> free, so you'll hire people to do it for you... and
    >>> you'll have to pay them.
    >>>
    >>> Pension pick up hasn't bankrupted the pension system.
    >>> TRS is not the only pension system in trouble, and
    >>> there isn't pension pick up in every public system.
    >>> Pension pick up was actually paid into the system,
    >>> whether it was from the teachers directly or from the
    >>> school district. The systems are bankrupt because the
    >>> state didn't pay the money they were obligated to pay
    >>> over many years. THIS and only this is why the systems
    >>> are struggling. Had the state done what it was legally
    >>> required to do, then we would be in a much better spot.
    >>> Now, the state has screwed teachers and wants to screw
    >>> them further. However, you seem to think teachers are
    >>> communists who don't deserve any retirement. Your
    >>> constant invocation of Walmart proves you devalue
    >>> teachers and their work.
    >>>
    >>>> Maybe you should start contributing to your own damn
    >>>> retirement and stop insisting that people working at
    >>>> the local WalMart pay for it. Parasite.
    >>>
    >>> Parasite? I'm quite certain I've paid more property
    >>> taxes in the last year than you have in the last ten. I
    >>> own a large number of rental properties. I could retire
    >>> tomorrow and I'm not yet 40, and live comfortably on
    >>> that income. Whatever TRS benefits remain when I
    >>> actually do retire will be a supplement to a much
    >>> larger retirement package I've put together. You just
    >>> hate teachers and what they do. You likely hate cops,
    >>> firefighters and anyone else who works for government,
    >>> but its less popular to bash them.
    >>>
    >>> We don't work for you. We work for school districts.
    >>> You get one vote, that's it. So vote in the next
    >>> election for state reps and school board members. We
    >>> aren't "stealing" from you. In fact, if you
    >>> want to take personal responsibility, you have
    >>> defrauded educators. The precious tax payers, through
    >>> your state representatives, have not funded the public
    >>> retirement systems for decades. The tax payers' elected
    >>> representatives made agreements, and now you dare to
    >>> shirk your agreements? Who is the parasite?
    >>>
    >>>