New Jobs on Teachers.Net

IDEAS
Zarqa


LIFT Pre-College Progr...
College Park


Perspectives Charter S...
Chicago

AJO UNIFIED SCHOOL DIS...
Ajo



    Re: Possibly Breaking a Just-signed Teaching Contract


    teachn1

    Posted on 10/18/09
    (3) Comments

    Thank you, Deana. My main concern with trying it and risking
    that it doesn't work is the students. They will have already
    lost one teacher this year, and I don't know how it would affect
    them to lose two. I don't want to be the reason even one student
    becomes lost or begins to dislike school. But perhaps this is a
    risk I should take. As you said, it may work out very well, and
    this gut feeling will just turn out to be fear of the unknown.

    On 10/18/09, Deana wrote:
    > I would try it first before I backed out. You never know
    > what's going to happen. You may find that you love, or that
    > you hate it. If it doesn't work out, you can always speak
    > with the principal and let him know it's not working. But
    > give it a chance first.
    >
    >
    >
    > On 10/18/09, teachn1 wrote:
    >> Hi, everyone!
    >>
    >> I have a difficult situation and hope that you might be
    >> able to help. A junior high teacher at a religious private
    >> school must go on leave (for personal resons) for the
    >> remainder of the year, and this school offered me her
    >> position. I have college teaching experience but have
    >> never taught the grade or the subjects I will be teaching
    >> and I do not have a teaching certificate. However, I like
    >> teaching, and the money is good, so I signed a contract
    >> last week despite some hesitations regarding my ability to
    >> the job well and some weird feelings. After signing the
    >> contract, I was given a tour of the school and found myself
    >> growing increasingly uncomfortable with my role there, and
    >> I have spent much of the time since signing the contract
    >> questioning my decision.
    >>
    >> I am supposed to begin teaching in a few weeks but am
    >> considering backing out of my contract. I certainly do not
    >> want to do such a thing, as I am usually very professional,
    >> but I cannot get over this feeling that something isn't
    >> right (not with the school, but with my teaching for the
    >> school). Perhaps this is just fear that I have gotten
    >> myself in over my head. I accepted the position because,
    >> on paper (and perhaps also in reality), the position and
    >> the income seem to be a good and rare opportunity, and I am
    >> in need of a job.
    >>
    >> I would like to get some feedback from some of you, as
    >> those closest to me can only look at what I saw prior to
    >> signing the contract: a good opportunity, a school
    >> schedule, and good money. However, as many of you know,
    >> this cannot be everything when accepting a teaching
    >> position. I am concerned because, while I have some
    >> experience (mostly as a student, not a teacher) with the
    >> subjects I'll be teaching, they are not my areas of
    >> expertise, and, honestly, I don't know how to teach (and
    >> discipline) this grade level and these subjects. My biggest
    >> concern, though, is the reason for this feeling I've been
    >> having. First of all, I don't have a good feeling with the
    >> principal of the school. He has been quite nice and cares a
    >> lot about the school, but at the end of the day when I
    >> signed the contract, he also seemed to be trying to
    >> reassure himself that he had made the right choice (he kept
    >> saying, "This is a good thing," the same thing I keep
    >> saying in the hope of convincing myself). Secondly, I am
    >> not religious. I do not have a problem working in a
    >> religious school, in the sense that I will not hinder
    >> anyone's religious education and I encourage people to
    >> explore their spiritually. However, I did experience some
    >> discomfort when the prayer was said over the loud speaker;
    >> perhaps, however, this discomfort would dissipate over
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Like I said above, some of these concerns may simply be
    >> fears, but some may be indications that I am not the right
    >> person for this job. If it is the latter, I believe I
    >> should break the contract as soon as possible and hope that
    >> the school would not hold me to the charges for breaking a
    >> contract. However, before making a decision, I hope to
    >> hear some feedback from current teachers.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>


    Posts on this thread, including this one

  • Possibly Breaking a Just-signed Teaching Contract, 10/18/09, by teachn1.
  • Re: Possibly Breaking a Just-signed Teaching Contract, 10/18/09, by Deana.
  • Re: Possibly Breaking a Just-signed Teaching Contract, 10/18/09, by teachn1.