Re: Teaching in Australia for an oversees teacher

    Not to sound rude but that wouldnt be the smartest thing, not if you want
    the best compensation package. You want to be hired as a foreign hire, so
    that youll get airfare, moving and settling in allowances, as well as a
    housing package (hopefully). If your already there, you will likely be
    hired as a local hire, which will be salary and insurance only. Besides
    you have some time, the main hiring season time in now, but positions wont
    start until August.

    On 12/28/11, Koen wrote:
    > A lot of confusion, but you're right. I was looking at the immigration
    > visa while I should be looking at at the non immigration work visa. So
    > you're absolutely right, the costs of 305 AUD shouldn't be the problem.
    > You can apply for the visa from within Australia, so probably the
    > smartest thing to do is just go over there, apply for jobs and hope for
    > the best. I worked there already for three months (but not as a
    > teacher), so I hope that can help with proving i've got decent english
    > skills.
    > Thanks a lot for the help, and all the best for 2012!
    > On 12/27/11, Dave wrote:
    >> OK Im confused, how much do you think the visa is? It costs $305
    >> AUD, which while a chunk isnt really some horribly large amount of
    >> money for a school. The visa you would be getting is a Business Long
    >> Stay visa (#457). Heres a link:
    >> I think your still confusing an immigration visa with a non
    >> immigration work visa. No school is going to pay for an
    > immigration
    >> visa, unless they are hiring you as head of the school and its part
    >> of the contract.
    >> I think being a non native english speaker might be an issue. It
    >> depends, i work in Denmark, and many of the Danes and Swedes i meet
    >> have perfectly acceptable english skills. The curriculum may or may
    >> not be an issue. Most international schools teach IB or a
    >> combination of curriculums, depending on the school.
    >> On 12/27/11, Koen wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> First of all: Thanks for your reply!
    >>> I would like to start with finding a job as a teacher in
    >>> Australia, so after that I can start thinking about immigrating.
    >>> So you think schools over there would take care of the visa for
    >>> me? I heard about big companies doing that, but for schools it
    >>> would seem like a lot of money(skilled-sponsored).
    >>> Everything should be ok with the teaching credentials, and
    >>> otherwise my Master of Science degree is internationally
    >>> recognized. You don't think that being a non-native english
    >>> speaker and the fact that the curriculum is different is too big
    >>> of a problem?
    >>> Do you have any pointers on where to look for information on
    >>> that, or someone to contact over there?
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Koen
    >>> On 12/24/11, Dave wrote:
    >>>> Im confuse about something. Are you trying to immigrate to
    >>>> Australia or find a job there? I ask because the Visa is
    >>>> really a minor thing. You need to find a job/school to hire
    >>>> you, and then whatever kind of work visa you need, let them
    >>>> take care of.
    >>>> As long as your teaching credential is issued by the
    >>>> governmental body, is in good standing and a "standard"
    >>>> certificate (meaning there are no conditions or limitations on
    >>>> it and would permit you to perform the duties of a teacher in
    >>>> your host country) then it should be readily accepted by the
    >>>> various teaching colleges in Australia. Australia's teaching
    >>>> authority is governed by the regional colleges, and very
    >>>> similar to Canada's system.
    >>>> You may have some difficulty finding a position as
    >>>> Australia's curriculum is very similar to the GCSE/6th form/A
    >>>> levels curriculum format, and the Netherlands follows the
    >>>> Gymnasium curriculum format.
    >>>> If your looking for more information about immigrating to
    >>>> Australia and then finding a job once there, the standards for
    >>>> self sponsorship are very, very high (as you discovered).
    >>>> On 12/24/11, Koen wrote:
    >>>>> Hi,
    >>>>> I'm a physics teacher on a secondary school in the
    >>>>> Netherlands. I'm very interested in getting a job in
    >>>>> Australia. However, there is so much information on
    >>>>> different visas that it's a bit hard to find where to
    >>>>> start. I looked into the government sponsored skilled visa,
    >>>>> but will a school help me with the costs that come with
    >>>>> such a sponsorship? And is my teaching qualification from
    >>>>> the Netherlands recognized since it is different from a UK
    >>>>> one?
    >>>>> I hope someone can get in touch with me and help me with
    >>>>> realizing my dream of living and working in Australia.